Newsletter Subscription

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

WHITE AND BLACK TABLESCAPE

Does the title of this post sound strange to you?  I’m not sure why, but we usually say “black and white” (at least that’s what I usually say).  Since Cuisine Kathleen’s challenge for this week’s Let’s Dish Wednesday is an all white with one other color table, I thought I should title this post the other way around.

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

I can’t believe I am posting polka dot tablescapes two weeks in a row.  If you aren’t a regular visitor to my blog, I’ll just tell you right now ~ I do have some dishes that aren’t polka dotted.   

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

This was for a casual dinner.  The polka dot plates are melamine made by Modahome and purchased several years ago at Tuesday Morning.

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

I think I got these black and white wine stems at an estate sale years ago.  I know I got the milk glass water goblets at an estate sale.

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

The bottles in this black iron holder are supposed to be for serving liquor.  Since we don’t use them for liquor, I removed the corks and put white hydrangeas in them.

Salt Cellar-Bargain Hunting with Laurie

The salt cellars and salt spoons were from different estate sales.  I moved one of them off of the tablecloth, because I couldn’t get a good photograph with the white background.  I love the beaded edges on these.

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

I served ice cream and cookies in polka dot and stripe boxes, lined with zebra print paper.

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

I can almost promise that, on my tablescape next week, there won’t be a polka dot in sight  Thanks so much for coming by.  It would be great to have you join me on other sites.  Available on my sidebar: “Like” my Facebook page; Subscribe by Email; Follow me on Bloglovin’, Hometalk, Pinterest, and Google +. laurie

EDITED TO ADD:  I know I’m senile.  Kathleen’s all white challenge is still two weeks away!  I didn’t want to confuse anyone with my declaration that it was this week.  Don’t count on me to keep you on track!

Linking this post to:

Let’s Dish Wednesday at Cuisine  Kathleen,Centerpiece Wednesday at The Style Sisters, and Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch.

26 comments:

Sarah said...

Laurie, this table makes me smile. Black and White / White and Black ~ it all reads the same to me! Now you'll just have to come up with another table for the challenge. Ha! I'm thinking white with brown. Thought I'd do something different since I"ve already posted a lot of black and white ones. ;-)

Love the idea of serving the dessert in those little boxes. Clever!

Marlis said...

Laurie, this is a fabulous table. I can never have enough polka dots! Those are really gorgeous wine stems. Great job repurposing the decanters. Love the boxes for dessert. It's all just a wonderful table. xo marlis

Glenda/MidSouth said...

A very pretty table setting! Black and white or white and black - it works! :) One of my favorite combinations.
Hope you are staying cool.

Lady of the Manor said...

Like Sarah said, this table just made me smile! How cheery and inviting! I may have to try some black and white polka dots, too. Thanks for sharing!

spooks said...

I love black and white and I love polka dots, so I love this doubly!....Christine

Monica @ Happily Playing with Dishes said...

Nothing wrong with polka dots. Your table is gorgeous. LOVE the stems and the salt cellars.

Debbie said...

I'm so glad to read the update at the end. I thought, "Oh, no! I read it wrong and missed it!"

Your white and black table was so full of inspiration, though, that we can call this an advertisement! My favorite item on the table is the black and white candlestick. I love that. It's all so very creative and pretty that you have me excited for the upcoming challenge.

Lulu said...

It's absolutely amazing what has happened to melamine these days. As your polka dots show, the designs are greatly improved and worthy of use any time. Fun and wonderful is your table.

thepaintedapron.com said...

I never tire of polka dots, so they're always ok with me! I love your white and black table, the centerpiece is genius, the striped stemware is very cool, and the paper lined box holding the dessert bowl and spoon is so creative!
Jenna

Alycia Nichols said...

You freaked me out for a moment there!!! I had to go back and double-check to make sure I hadn't missed the Challenge coming up!!!

I love all the polka dots! I'll just bet that Rett at The Gazebo House will go bananas over this post!!!!!!

Such a creative move to use the black iron holder's bottles for the pretty white hydrangeas!!!!! Such a great idea!!!

White & black or black & white...doesn't matter. It looks equally terrific! Have a great weekend!!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Well I love your tablescape but whew that the challenge is still a few weeks off. Black and White is always so pretty!
hugs,

Linda

Diane said...

Laurie - this is wonderful!! I love the way that you mixed the black and white and I adore those glasses with the black and white stems! I like the milk glass ones, too. I have been trying to decide, about buying some of those. They look great on your table. Also, I say - keep those polka dots coming. I love them!!

Holly said...

Hi Laurie - I love the polka dots. Love them! The black and white is so very chic and early Hollywood glamesque I love it! And I'm just as excited for the White Tablescape challenge... I'm right there with you! Mine is all ready to go. The tablescape itself is average at best, but it's definitely going to be unique and interesting and FUN! Thanks! Hugs, Holly @ coconutheadsurvivalguide

ellen b. said...

You have me cracking up with your senile comment. I love this black and white scape. Fabulous!!

Kathleen said...

I love this scape, polka dots are always so much fun! Love hydrangeas in the wine holder, they are better than wine!
Lots of great touches here! Now you have 2 weeks to come up with another color! :)
Thanks so much for joining the fun at Let's Dish!

Anonymous said...

This table is beautiful...probably the best black and white table I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

I love this table, Laurie!!

Mimi said...

Hi Laurie!

So much to love about this fun table- the "liquor" bottles in the iron holder and the gorgeous salt cellar and spoon are a few- I'll be looking at this again a few more times!

xo
Mimi

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

That is such a fun and pretty table Laurie!
You could do polka dots every week and I wouldn't mind.
Love the white hydrangeas, the napkins, the beauty of it all!
How do you do it my friend?
Hugs,
Cindy

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Laurie, I love the black and white!
It really make for a beautiful table. how fun.
thanks for sharing.
Have a Happy weekend.
Mary

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Laurie,
I love your black and white polka dot dishes on your table! It's so fun, and what a great idea to serve the ice cream and cookies in those adorable boxes! You always set the best tables, Laurie!

Beeutiful by Design said...

You scared me with the date I'm already challenged to get things done in time by the 31st. Love love love the saltcellars

Rebecca Corvese said...

The black and white polka dot theme is super cute! I love polka dots in any form or function, so you won me over with them!

~ Becky

Anonymous said...

How often we conjure up starched shirts and pressed linens ... maximum formality (that it hurts) when the words black and white are uttered...and yet, you have shown this premise to be oh, so NOT true! What charm and how delightful! I can only imagine the laughter and great conversation that will be had at this tablesetting. Truly outside the box and FUN ~

Dewena said...

I don't know how you do this so consistently but your table is so darn pretty! All you need now is a handsome "white and black" Dalmatian dog sitting at attention waiting for one of those cookies!

Unknown said...

I too love polka dots but this black and white is so cute especially the little boxes so cute and stylish.Susie