Newsletter Subscription

Sunday, May 19, 2013

OUTDOOR SPRING CLEANING

It is definitely time to start cleaning up the backyard.  I worked on it until after dark on Saturday, and I still am not finished!  It’s just a good thing our backyard is small.

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

The back porch, where we sit and rock, got a good cleaning.

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

Every time I clean the back porch, that shabby table loses some more paint.  That table was in our screened in porch when I was growing up, and it has been painted a lot of different colors over the years.

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

I think all of the colors it has been painted are now showing through.  Before they get into the pool, my grands put their hair bands and jewelry on the arms of the vintage water sprinkler.  We were spending way too much time looking for those little girl necessities before I gave them a place to keep them. 

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

I know what you’re asking.  Who puts white cushions on outdoor furniture?  Believe me, I was asking the same thing while I was scrubbing these cushions with bleach.

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

The covers for the directors chairs finally bit the dust (and the mold, and the dirt dobber nests).  I had to put new covers on them this year.

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

I’m working on copying Carlene’s ladder at Organized Clutter.  Hers looks so pretty.  Sigh.  Mine still needs a lot of work.

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

Although you can’t see it, I did get some help from my sweetheart with the mulching behind the pool (I didn’t think you needed a closeup of my mulch).  By the time I finished, it was too dark to plant the white Vinca that will go in this bed.

Bargain Hunting with Laurie Until this year, I didn’t even know this Scottish Heather bloomed, and it has been here awhile. 

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

I guess I also need to put something in front of my Peonies to keep them from flopping over when it rains.

Bargain Hunting with Laurie

I can’t believe, after working so hard that I am sore, this is all I have to show for it. And there is still more to do.  Yikes!  I need a full-time gardener for my tiny backyard!

Glad you came by to visit me in my backyard. I’m linking to Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper.  laurie

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our new porch rockers should be here today or tomorrow (Lowe's). I can't wait to have them on the back porch!

Your outdoor spaces look wonderful, Laurie! Ready for Summer!

ellen b. said...

You did good! I love your creative spaces. We are still waiting to put our patio covers up. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to add some lawn services to our budget for at least this busy summer...

bj said...

Love your outdoor space, Laurie...
yard work is HARD on the body. :))

Stacey said...

It looks so pretty Laurie. I know y'all love spending time out there.

My peonies in Oklahoma always plopped over like that. The beautiful blooms weren't even very visible. I wonder if there's a variety that isn't as prone to that.

Unknown said...

Everything looks beautiful and inviting! Yard work is never completely done it seems..it is rewarding tho! Have a great day!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks pretty and a good place to relax. Yard work is hard work! Still have not finished my Spring clean up/clean out as the vinca vine needs to be cut back - again. :/

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh it is looking wonderful to me. Love the rockers, how fun and I love to sit, rock and enjoy. Hugs, marty

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Laurie,
Your backyard is looking great, and I'm so jealous that you have peonies. They don't grow well here. What a clever solution you came up with for your granddaughter's hair accessories. I have 3 granddaughters and one grandson, and when they are visiting, I find their hair stuff everywhere!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Your yard and porch are looking wonderful. I still need to do a good cleaning on mine. I've had the allergies and crud for way too long and hope to get outside and work on it soon!
hugs,
Linda

Mimi said...

What a lovely outdoor space you have- and just think how much you will enjoy it now that it is nice and clean!

Debbie said...

I think your whole space looks wonderful, and think of it this way... white actually cleans up easier than other things because it can be bleached and doesn't fade. I think it was a good choice!

I think your version of the ladder already looks great and want to copy cat your copy cat. I love the idea of the vintage sprinkler too. Functional and pretty at the same time. I'm a big old fan of the double duty.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Everything looks great! Allow your ladder to grow over time-that's the best way in my book. I always say I just love something rusty. Mine are not nearly as full as yours, but I put a pyramid type trellis over it this year and so far, so good.

Laura S Reading said...

I am taking a breather from working in our yard, and shoveling the barn. I do need younger help for some of those chores. It is almost warm enough for a dip in the pool. I wonder if the dogs will share with me?

Your yard is as beautiful s your house. You seem to have the magic in you.

Stacey said...

Hi Laurie. I came by to tell you that the last couple of times I've tried to respond to your comments it says you are a No Reply Blogger. Are you receiving responses? You might want to check your settings. :)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

It looks pretty gorgeous to me Laurie!
What an inviting, charming and beautiful place you have created.
I love it all!
Hugs friend,
Cindy

Thecreativeme23 said...

Your yard is looking great!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Laurie, Your yard is gorgeous and I love the calm and relaxing style of it. So inviting. Behind your pools looks a bit like mine with the plantings. We took out 13 trees that should have not been there when we purchased the home. I know it is a lot of work, but so worth it for the result you have.
Beautiful!!
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

You have a great yard. Love the weathered chairs and the table and even the sprinkler! Thanks for the PR on my ladder!