Newsletter Subscription

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

WINTER ON THE TABLE-AGAIN

Blame it on Cuisine Kathleen.  She hosted a Winter Tablescape challenge last week.  If you missed it, I posted my winter tablescape here.  I couldn’t make up my mind what wintery things should go on that table, so I had to post a second winter tablescape to use the left-over wintery things.  I’m linking this post to Cuisine Kathleen for Let’s Dish Wednesday and Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday.
WINTER TABLESCAPE
A ruffled baby blanket covers the table (and hopefully resembles snow drifts).
plc stg w soup Many of our winter meals begin with soup, so I’ve used my Williams Sonoma covered soup bowls.
dinner plate
The dinner plate is Friendly Village by Johnson Brothers.  Under the dinner plate is a vintage green, glass plate used as a charger.
SNOW HOUSES
houses
slt
napkin
A snowflake ornament, tied to the napkin with decorative trim, serves as a napkin holder.
snow flks
mug
You may be wondering why these springtime jonquils are popping out of the snow.  I cut these from our garden yesterday! 
jonquils btr
We don’t have snow in Arkansas right now, but we do have jonquils, so I couldn’t do a tablescape without using a few of them to brighten this dreary day.
laurie soup
Have you ever served Laurie’s soup?  You probably have, but that is probably not the title of your recipe.  This soup is so easy and so good that I tend to fix it a lot in the winter.  That’s why my family refers to it as “Laurie’s Soup”.  I should be ashamed to tell you how easy it is, but since most of you have probably made it before, I’ll go ahead and share the recipe in case somebody out there hasn’t served it (Feel free to refer to it as “your name” soup).
1 pound ground chuck
3 cans Campbell’s Minestrone Soup (undiluted)
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes and chilies
Brown ground chuck, drain grease.  Add soup and Ro-Tel.  Cook for approximately 10 minutes.  Serves 4-6.
(Note:  Some people add canned black beans)
I usually put mine in a crockpot after I brown the meat.  That way, it looks like I’ve been cooking it all day!  It also stays warm for anybody who comes in to dinner late.  I’ve served it in mugs, with a spoon, at a winter buffet.  I told you I serve it often!
CARD BUTTON
You can find Let’s Dish linkups at Cuisine Kathleen and Tablescape Thursday linkups at Between Naps on the Porch.  It was great to have you visit me today.  laurie
(I appreciate your support of my blog. Available on my sidebar: “Like” my Facebook page; Subscribe by Email; Follow me on Hometalk, Pinterest, and Google +. Thank you.)

 

25 comments:

Sarah said...

Laurie, I was tempted to set another winter table just to use my new little snow covered houses. But with temps in the 80s the last few days, I packed those little house away to be used next winter. I'm moving on to Valentine's Day. '-)
But I'm happy to see this winter delight. Yes, the blanket looks like snow drifts. Love the pop of yellow jonquils. ~ Sarah
PS
FYI it's now cold here again as of last night. Yipee! I'm not ready to let go of winter just yet. Highs in the 80s just isn't January!!!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Another great table, I love it Laurie!
Those plates, oh so pretty!
I can't believe you have flowers already...how far is it to Arkansas again? I know you have extra bedrooms. Don't worry, I'll call first. hehe.
Come by and see my for real snow drifts!!
That pic of baby Dylan just is so beautiful, praying for him.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I love the way you have integrated the actual village with the Friendly Village. Love the Friendly Village! One of my favorite patterns.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

You are up for any challenge, Laurie. The ruffled baby blanket is a perfect winter table cover. The soup sounds good too.

Anonymous said...

I love that little table for two Laurie. It is so pretty.

I'm going to try to find a few of those plates. Just love them and believe it or not...I don't have any of that pattern!

Tricia said...

What a cozy, pretty table, Laurie! I always adore tables set with Friendly Village -- and I forward links to my daughter-in-law, who owns her grandmother's set now. Lucky you, with so many pretty items for a wintry table!

Alycia Nichols said...

That's my girl! Not just one, but TWO winter tables!!! I like the "snow drift" table covering. That's a really creative touch! LOVE those WS soup bowls! I can't believe I don't have those (or something similar) in my repertoire!!! We eat a LOT of soup around here, and it's a staple at many wintertime dinner parties. Not one covered soup bowl in the whole lot! Give me yours! :-) Have a good weekend, Laurie!!!

ellen b. said...

Love your table and your soup sounds delicious! Friendly Village is perfect for a winter table setting for sure!

Phyllis @Around the House said...

The wintery tablescape is so creative, love the tablecloth/blanket, it does look like snow...and the dishes are perfect with the setting..

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Pretty and a cozy setting for 2. Thanks for sharing the soup recipe - I need to make a batch.
Have a great weekend.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

I love the wintery table for two. The dishes are perfect and the tablecloth does look like snow. Great blog.
Mary

The HOME GIRL said...

This is so nice! I love those "friendly village" plates...I really need to find some of those!!! I also love your "snowdrift" tablecloth! =) Hope you have a great evening!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love your snowy theme with those jonquils for a special touch. I was born and raised in Arkansas and we always called them jonquils. In other parts of the country, people tell me they are daffodils...but I know better! heehee! Sweet southern hugs!

Debbie said...

I love every touch, from the snow drift inspired cloth (It DID look like that, btw) to the jonquils and everything in between.

I have a particular fondness for jonquils so when I saw them sitting on your winter table, they just made me smile.

Dewena said...

To me, this looks like such a cozy old-fashioned table only old-fashioned never had it so good! Those greens are so fresh and pretty, and the soup bowls are so classic. I've never seen this soup recipe before and am going to jot it down. I love, love, love those red stripe draperies!

Jennie@gotmyreservations.com said...

I am definitely making the soup and I'm also going to look differently at my linens. It was so creative of you to use the ruffly baby blanket as a table cover.

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Laurie, I love this table too!!! The little houses are adorable and I can't believe you have jonquils already! We are having snow again this weekend so I hope mine don't come up too soon. Looking forward to the Valentine's party. Linda

Denise Marie said...

looks like u met the winter tablescape challenge.

Carol said...

The first picture of your tablescape looks so European. Cozy table for two in a charming bistro. All the elements you used work together so well. Love it, Laurie!

Smiles,
Carol

Marigene said...

Cute winter table...those plates look so nice on the snowy tablecloth.
Wow, that is an easy soup, that would be such a great meal for unexpected company popping in.

Marlis said...

Cute cute winter table. One day I am going to break down and get those Friendly Village plates!!! They are just so warm and welcoming. Love the jonquils.. I have some green shoots up, need to check them this weekend. But we've had a very hard freeze since then. And hey, it's winter till March 21st.. xo marlis

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie, I am a winter soup girl too and I am definitely trying Laurie's soup! We are supposed to have some snow flurries today so it's definitely a good soup day. I can almost smell those daffodils....pure heaven! Love your tablesetting. xo

Diann said...

What a pretty and cozy table for two. It is so inviting. You want to just sit down enjoy some good conversation and yummy food. And BTW, I LOVE the fabric on both of the chairs!

Kathleen said...

Lovely, and so cozy. Yes, the cloth looks like snow! I can't believe you have jonquils already!
Thank you so much for linking to Let's Dish!

Palomasea said...

This is so beautiful, dear Laurie!
The baby blanket is perfect...what a great idea...
And I have never tried this recipe...it sounds so yummy..now I must!
On to catch up with your posts...
Hugs,
- Irina