Newsletter Subscription

Friday, January 16, 2009

SHARE A SPACE SATURDAY (OR SHARE THINGS IN THE SPACE)

Although I entitled this post "Share a Space", I really am not sharing a space as much as I'm sharing things that are in the space. This is my grandchildren's overnight room (I occasionally let adult guests stay here too), and it is filled with my "junk". I am not posting these rooms to show you my decor, because I know I have let them become too cluttered. This is where I store a LOT of my memories (I know the organizing experts would say that the memories are in my head and heart, and I don't need to keep all of this junk - well, maybe my head and heart are too full, and I need these reminders). Whatever the case, I cannot stand to part with all of this junk that I call memories. As my friend, Glenda, says, "I don't suffer from insanity, I rather enjoy it".


So, please forgive the way the room looks, and come see some of my memories.




Inherited quilts and purchased quilts hold special memories for me.

Several years ago, when I had a yard sale with a friend, she was selling this cute vintage lamb rug, and I bought it. (And I wonder why I don't make money when I have a yard sale!)

I even had my husband build a cornice across the window wall, so I could put MORE stuff in the room! The bears at the tea party are wearing hats that were mine when I was a child (yep, those are some old hats!)

More quilts and some of my Hardy Boy and Nancy Drew books. Miss Janice, do you see my mother's "McCall's Book of Etiquette"?


These little shelves hold some of my childhood memories. Easter purses were a big deal for me when I was a child.



The iron doll bed belonged to my mother, and my grandmother made the "crazy quilt" for it.


This child's chair belonged to my mother.


I wore these to church many times when I was growing up. They were called pinafores. I don't guess they are around any more.


My Barbie doll, my mother's Asian doll, and my mother's Christening gown are in this corner of the cabinet, along with some of my doll baby bottles. I guess I forgot to get a picture of my vintage Barbie case on top of this cabinet (it's so amazing to me that things I played with as a child are now referred to as "vintage")!





The christening gown is from 1910. When I was cleaning out the family home and found it, it looked terrible (you know, those yellow stains that old clothing gets). I used a product called "Nancy's Vintage Wash, and it came out beautifully! I promise it looks better than my children's gowns. I can't find Nancy's Vintage Wash any more, but I'm sure there are other products that work just as well.

Isn't the needlework pretty?




I wanted to grow up to be a cowgirl (or maybe even a cowboy!) I spent a lot of hours in these vests and that cowgirl skirt.





The following pictures are of the guest bathroom, which is next to this bedroom. It has become kind of a joke in our family. You've probably heard people say "I'm going to the library" when they go to the restroom. At my house, they say, "I'm going to the museum" when they go to the restroom! Once again, I feel a need to do a little "splainin" for those who have not read my earlier postings, and for those who are like me, and can't remember what they read in earlier postings. I live in the home I grew up in. My parents built this home and my maternal grandparents lived in the home with us. This home was built in 1949, and the same family of "packrats" have lived in it since then. Therefore, when my parents and grandparents had died, and my sister and I were left with the house, the attics, the closets, and the outdoor storage rooms were filled to the brim. What is even more amazing than that is that we turned the attic into rooms, and I brought almost all of the "junk" from the attics, etc. out into the open! Now that part, I can't "splain"!




When we remodeled this house, this was the only bathroom that retained the original tile. Our addition to the house caused me to lose a window in this bathroom. Knowing that I can always use another place to put "stuff", I had a back and shelves added to the window opening. The shelves are filled with "stuff" that I cannot make myself throw out (although I know I should). It is just fun and interesting for me to come in here and see these things.



I know....who in their right mind would keep a cardboard powder box. Well, I never said I was in my right mind. I just love the graphics on this box. I think it belonged to my grandmother.





Inside the box was a tiny scroll. I unrolled it, and it was apparently an ad for a movie.



I had to put weights on the ends to hold it down for the picture. The bottom of the ad is apparently missing.


The Snow White handkerchief was mine. The pin cushion doll was my grandmother's. Those china things that look like candles are cigarette lighters. The flame lifts off to expose the lighter. I think my mother used them on bridge tables (back when smoking was not forbidden).








I've always thought this little framed motto was interesting. It was in the attic of our home when I was growing up, and when I went to the attic to play house, I would hang it on a nail as my decor! I even had junk in my play house!



Another picture that used to decorate my "play house". Before I could read, I just loved it because it had a dog on it.



The box for the "Wireless" Ice Bag is just too funny to throw away, and I love the "Butts Only" ashtray.



The sink is the only thing I replaced in this bathroom. (Well, I did replace the toilet, but I didn't think you'd want to see a picture of that).
And yes, I almost became a bathroom diva. It is hard to take pictures in a small bathroom without getting caught in the mirror.








There is a small dressing room adjoining this bathroom. I am showing it, so I can tell you about the day my dear husband came home and threatened to throw away my stencil brushes! I got a little carried away in this dressing room! The room just looked so plain to me, so I started stenciling
And stenciling some more.




And when I ran out of walls, doors and vanity drawers, I stenciled the ceiling!

Thank you so much for coming by and sharing some of my memories with me. laurie

56 comments:

Coloradolady said...

How fun was this tour! I love how you have all of your memories out to enjoy. I love, love, LOVE the shelf in your bathroom. That is very cute! Everything looks so great and inviting. I enjoyed looking!

Dixie said...

Never-never apologize for having a room filled with treasures, and treasured memories...

I love the post. all your treasures delight the senses... beautiful! Dixie

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Wow, Your Mother must have saved EVERYTHING! How wonderful. I love all your treasures. I had a great aunt who luckily collected all the items no longer wanted. She passed down to me the high boy dresser my Great Grandparents had owned, and a beautiful Library Table the 1st piece of furniture she had purchased, as well as lots of little keep sakes.

xoxo,
Cathleen

Four Paws and Co said...

Oh Laurie, this is a wonderful post! I love the shelf above the window in the bedroom. ♥ Diane

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Laurie,
This was so much fun! We moved a lot when I was a child, and I am the oldest of 8 so things got passed down a lot. I don't have one of my toys left from childhood so I am envious of people who do. Anyway, I loved seeing your childhood treasures. Cindy

Glenda said...

I feel almost like a peeping tom after this glimpse into what was probably very private until today. Only guests in your home have been privileged to see all of these wonderful treasures.

Can't begin to tell you how special it is of you to share these memories with all of us. Many of these items are artifacts of times long gone. Cherish them for all the memories they bring to mind and the associations they call to mind.

Pug1 said...

Great tour down memory lane! CHEERS! Michele

Kathysue said...

Laurie,Now this is what makes a home the memories and you are a wonderful caretaker of your family memories.Most people don't have pieces from their childhood and their parents, I think it is wonderful and no wonder you family loves coming to your home,it is their roots.Thank you for a glimpse into your wonderful life. Kathysue

Kat said...

What a wonderful tour. How lucky that you still have so many things from your childhood and never, ever apologize for being the keeper of your family's treasures! All of your things are wonderful, but I especially love the cowgirl outfit! Kathy

SmilingSally said...

You have so many cherished things. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa (aka) French said...

This was a great tour I so loved the little church dresses;) and the butts only ashtray...you have so many great things to look at I will have to come back;) French

santamaker said...

Laurie, my motto is , "Too much of a good thing is....wonderful". So I must tell you that your guestroom and bathroom are WONDERFUL ! Loved them. Thanks for sharing all of your favorite heirlooms .
How did you get your pictures to show up so big? LOVED THAT !

Bridget said...

That is so cool that you have all of tese things from your childhood. Not enough time to comment on ALL of the things that i liked and found interesting but I loved the little cowgirl outfit!
Hugs, Bridget

Melissa Miller said...

HI Laurie,
Love it ALL! I would have lots of fun visiting your home. You could be my tour guide with all the amazing history. Love the lamb rug and that is a gorgeous crystal light fixture. Love the flowered sink too. How unique.
My Grandma had a pin cushion like hers.

Have a wonderful weekend my friend.
~Melissa :)

Kathleen Ellis said...

What a fun tour and stroll down memory lane! The bedroom is adorable...bet the kids love to stay in there! I love that sink...very pretty!
Happy Pink Saturday!

Anonymous said...

thanks for taking your time to show us your space.

Susan @ The Good Life! said...

I love the room that your grandchildren sleep in. I now know what was missing in my girls room!

Thanks

Susan

P.S. Quilts and memories.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Wow Laurie! I could spend all day on this post, just studying each little part of the rooms! You have some wonderful stuff!! Yes, isn't it awful when yuo go to the antique flea market and RECOGNIZE some of the stuff???? lol Have a great weekend!...Debbie

imjacobsmom said...

If Me and Jacob came for a visit you wouldn't get rid of him. LOL He loves all things vintage. Your so lucky to have all of those fun and wonderful memories. Nowadays, people are too quick to dispose of everything we are a throwaway society and this only goes to show that even the smallest of thiings are treasures today. ~ Robyn

Salmagundi said...

What is a wireless ice bag??? What fun it was to look at all of your fun treasures! So many memories there for you. I come from a long line of pack rats, also. Sally

Bo said...

Hi Laurie...I am amazed at the condition of your childhood things & also your mom's doll. Looking at all of these sweet things tells me you had a wonderful childhood. Love is everywhere you look in your past... ;-) Bo

Helen said...

Dear Laurie! I am overwhelmed, in a good way, with everything you showed us today. Especially the warm, safe, beautiful, cozy room your grandchildren can sleep in.

Anonymous said...

I love-----that sink and the chandy of course.and the shelf your dh built is wonderful.I had one built in and apartment once.I love them .And yes,the Katydid is real...Ann

xashee's corner said...

i absolutely LOVED that tour and thank you so much for sharing such PRECIOUS items! WOW!! i LOVE that you have such WONDERFUL things!! i even think your sink is AWESOME !! hehe Honestly, thank you for sharing your treasured memories! Boy just seeing one of your Easter purses flooded me with memories of mine! Have a BEAUTIFUL weekend!! :D

Anonymous said...

I loved seeing everything. Great blog.

Heidi Pocketbook said...

I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this post. What wonderful treasures you have and wonderful memories to go with them. I especially like the little lamb mat, the quilts, and the stained glass house lamp/nightlight.

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Laurie, I loved your little tour. Your home is filled with so much love. And so.. many treasures. I would have loved it if someone would have saved so many keepsakes in our family. It has to feel awesome to live in your family home. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs, Terrie

Lady Katherine said...

Oh me! Oh My! Laurie, so wonderful, the chair, the bed, the dresses, the vanity chair, send to me lol. I love the wedding ring quilts! I have one and one in the making, my grands may have to finish, lol I do love your treasures! How wonderful you have your family home! I found goodies in the attic, when we bought this house. I just love the letters, from way back when! I will have to go back and take another look at your wonderful things.

Lady Katherine said...

I love the lamb rug! I took a good look at the 1900 dress, I have several, not family, but collection. When my grandaughters were born, I made there door wreath and each had a porcliean doll which I dressed in my old dresses. I wish I knew about your cleaning product then! lol It was a hard task to clean each dress. I stil have 4 in the closet. Yes, I cleaned those too. Where were you then? lol More like where was I, out of state working! Just enjoy all your wonderful things, your blog always makes me smile.

Femin Susan said...

Hi...
I appreciate ur work rather than appreciating anything...
u r really a fantastic author..
may god bless you

cherry said...

Hi Laurie..this is my first time over here...and I just fell in LOVE with all your memories...what a wonderful bedroom for your grandbabies to share. I love old sentimental things as well...I am very nostaligic. I will have to add you to my blogroll. cherry

Anonymous said...

Laurie, I just loved seeing all of your memories. The bedroom is so sweet, and, yes,I wore pinafores, too. I have very few things from my childhood, you are so lucky to have these. I like all your stenciling, you are so cute! Love Ya! Connie

Debi said...

Laurie dear,
I loved touring your "museum" I know what you mean about keeping all of the stuff for memories... and saying just found that I am paint into a sign is: "My grandmother used it, My mother threw it, and I bought it." That is how I am having to get some of the things that remind me of growing up. So I would have to say your very blessed to have all of those wonderful treasures found in your childhood home attic!! And it sounds like you definitely charish all of them. So I say "GO GIRL!!"
No matter what the organizers have to say!! :D
I really have enjoyed my visit dear, and I will be back again soon and often!!!
I hope you have a wonderfully blessed day dear.
Debi xo

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What a wonderful room your grandchildren have to spend the night in. I remember these beautiful guilts as well as a few of the other things. You have some wonderful treasures. Thanks for sharing them Laurie. hugs ~lynne~

Bo said...

Hi again Laurie...Thanks so much for your sweet well wishes...I think they're working, 'cuz I do feel some better today...haha, uproars & downpours do sound better than their alternatives, huh! Hugs, ;-) Bo

Anonymous said...

I love it all Laurie. Your grandchildren will remember "their" room for many many years. Wonderful post!

The Muse said...

Thanks for Pink Saturday fun, glad to hear from you~thank you too for your wonderful encouragement!

I am not covered up with pink here, at our cottage, The Painted Nest, LOL so that SAT was a stretch for me!! :) LOL

I am running behind on my comments as I have been traveling for work :)

I often wonder what a childhood of love would have been like..and I see it here! Such lovely items..all meant to engage the senses and touch the heart :)

I loved every minute here!!!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM Laurie...girl I am loving this post today...WOW!! that sink stole my heart...and to have all thses great things was your childhood how special is that..Love all the Tile and what a cleaver idea about the window turned display case..I always enjoy coming and seeing your wonderful home Laurie..thanks for sharin...hugs and smiles Gloria

Anonymous said...

That was fun! I think that room and bathroom are just charming! I love the headboards and am coveting those luscious quilts. The window is too cute. I'd love to stay in that room!

Manuela

Carrie said...

What an enjoyable post! My collections have taken over my dwelling place too...only, I haven't done any additions, though tha would rovide me with much needed display space. As it is, I have to cycle things throughout the year.

Envoy-ette said...

This was such a sweet post, I cried! How wonderful that your grandparent's treasures are well taken care of and adored by you!

Tomarie said...

Laurie,
I feel like I always use the same word for your beautiful home...but it just always pops in my head! This is absolutely ENCHANTING!!! I could get lost looking at every item in every pic! You have the most amazing things! I think we should still go over to Vanna's and Christine's house with our big bag and truck...but after that I'm sneaking over to yours when you're at the office..LOL!! L~

Chris said...

Your home is very beautiful!

Laurie - Decorating Fanatic said...

Oh This was wonderful! I only wish I had all my "Memories" to display. I bet the Grandchildren adore that room with all of Grandma's things - so warm & cozy and loved. And that bathroom! Not only are the fixtures beautiful (love that sink!) but all those wonderful trinkets from years past.I bet people do spend alot of time in there! I can only imagine the thrill of finding these treasures in your own attic & to know they were used by your own family! Simply amazing. I thorougly enjoyed the tour. Now excuse me while I go phone my Mother and ask her where the heck she put all my old Cabbage Patch Dolls! haa! Thanks for sharing. ~ Laurie

Anonymous said...

What Treasure Rooms you have. I loved that sink and oh so many other things, I could go on all night. Your so lucky you hung on to those things. I have gotten rid of so many things and it now breaks my heart.

Hugs,
Chris

Belinda said...

Wow! What fun to see all of your treasures in these rooms, Laurie! I bet your grandchildren can't wait to come and spend the night with Grandmother, and to be surrounded by all of these fun things! That pedestal sink is absolutely adorable...love it! And being a cowgirl myself, who spent every waking moment with horses growing up (and STILL spend most of them with horses to this day!), I was so enthralled with your cute little cowgirl duds...what a delight that you still have them. :-)

Ginger said...

I loved seeing all your pictures of your treasures. I love quilts too. I wish I had some things from my childhood, you have great "stuff". I like the cornice board/shelf over the window. I think thats a neat way to display things.

Donna said...

Laurie - you are so funny about the stenciling!! Oh my gosh - I love that you have all your memories - the actual pieces! When we watch Clean House and they want people to get rid of sentimental pieces that have been passed down or whatnot, we always wonder HOW they do it! Well I just loved reading about everything! That Scotty dog motto is just the most perfect cottage piece ever... And the lamb rug... Oh my gosh, just everything!!! I think it's fantastic that you live in the same house you were raised!... Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

Miss Janice said...

What's not to love about the guest room? How sweet would it be to spend a night in that comfy fun room! And, yes, I see you have that ever-important etiquette book! It's important for us to keep the things that hold special memories and not just "in-style things."

~CC Catherine said...

Laurie, I loved seeing your quilts and treasures...especially the ones from when you were little, or the ones that belonged to your mum or your grandmother. I love legacy, and your post today and the pics you shared are a heritage you are sharing with your grandchildren and all that enter that room. I LOVED THIS! Super job...keep the "stuff"...it's like so cool! My mom is a quilter..I cherish the one she made me all by hand. Take care and stop by and visit again soon! ~CC

Miss Laura Lu/RMS4291960 said...

Laurie--I love your blog! Your home is adorable!!!!! I am very impressed! I bet your the best grandmother! So much fun!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Laurie, I always love it when we get a tour of one of your rooms! They just feel like home and all things, good! What a sweet room. Love the little things you had as a child, like the doggie picture. :-) Love your stenciling...you did a great job...it's beautiful!
Susan

Unknown said...

OH what a great post! I loved your pictures! What a great room!!!!!

~Liz

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Miss Laurie~ How I adored those pinafores! They looked so delicate. They reminded me of the pinafore aprons my mom use to wear when I was a child. On occasion mom would let me wear one when she was cooking. Which was a huge thrill for me!
One of my many fond memories.
Your guest room with the quilts,a labor of sewing love. Did you make the fabric covered headboards? That style is still my fav!

Sweet Wishes,
Sara

Abi's Blog said...

Hi, Laurie,
I was browsing through your blog and found this post. I LOVE your "clutter". Wish my mother and grandmother had kept more and wish I had not loved all my dolls to death! :) I cut their hair and my little first doll is "rotting?" away. I wish there had been someway to preserve her. But I do still have all the dolls - just no one would appreciate them in the state they are in!
Blessings and thanks for sharing your home,
Ava

countrynana said...

I recently found your blog and cannot tell you how much I enjoy it. I am a fellow Arkansas girl and I love all of my memories too!
You have done a beautiful job of displaying your treasures.